[Ads-l] locomotives as female

guy1656@centurylink.net guy1656 at CENTURYLINK.NET
Mon Apr 20 20:32:23 UTC 2015

    I have been in mechanical engineering in various patrs of the US for about 30 years.I have also heard 'she' applied to large stationary machinery, but usually of exemplary or magnificent size. Examples I recall iinclude a lathe with an 8ft swing and 137ft bed, used for finishing propeller shafts, and a vertical boring mill with an 18ft diameter table and something like a 22 or 26ft vertical throw...
I also heard a steam donkey (cumbersome but mobile source of steam and steam power in some logging operations) called a 'she.'-GLL

------ Original message------From: Amy WestBig moving things like ships, aircraft,  and locomotives generally are> female.>> If memory serves, this has been true since Middle English.>> At least of ships.>> JLI seem to recall it as being a much more recent tradition: I think 1700s; perhaps back to the 1500s. I can not recall my source for this, of course. Maybe _Word Myths_? Perhaps I should do my homework. . .---Amy West