[Ads-l] locomotives as female

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 22 00:12:02 UTC 2015

Let this be a lesson to you, Joel. I jotted down that note years ago,
knowing that my day would come round at last. At the same time, I noted
that "Pre-19th C. exx. tend strongly to be Scottish."

Now I can't find the cite in OED either. Why not?

No matter. No matter.

Bk. III, l. 624ff. [Ed. A. M. M. Duncan, Canongate, 1997, p. 43]:

"And thar schip thai lychtyt sone
And rowyt syne with all thar mycht,
And scho that swa wes maid lycht
Raykyt slydand throu the se."

Bk. XVII, l.399ff:

"[T]hai...
Ordaynyt a schip with full gret fer
To cum with all hyr apparail
Rycht to the wall for till assaill."

Katie Wales, _Personal Pronouns in Present-Day English_ (Cambridge U.P.,
1996), p. 153, also observes that "the OED's first example of _she_ in
co-reference with _ship_ dates from the fourteenth century and Barbour's
poem 'The Bruce.' used by the narrator."

Somebody at Oxford has some mighty tall 'splainin' to do.

JL