[Ads-l] awesome sauce!

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 24 13:37:09 UTC 2015

That was Paul Johnston, not me.  I've never heard anyone use "What's your
story?" as a greeting.

However, back in the '70s there was a frequently aired TV commercial for a
local merchant (perhaps of electronics) whose pitchman was a burly
construction-worker type in a hard hat. The commercials would begin with a
chorus of strongly accented N'Yawkers inquiring, "Hey, Charlie! What's the
story???"

Charlie would give his spiel about low prices, always ending with "And
that's the story!"

More recently, UrbanD (2003) informs us that "What's the story[?]" is
"Irish slang for 'Hello'."

Cf. "What's buzzin', cousin?"  In 1973 I heard, "What's the latest and the
greatest?"

Whatever its origin, the phrase  "What's you story, morning glory?' was
popularized by the tune of that name, by Paul Webster & M. L. Williams,
crt. Oct. 27, 1938.

JL