[Ads-l] locomotives as female

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 25 21:02:47 UTC 2015

I'll assume that symbolism general is an important issue to linguists. If
not, ignore all that follows.

Interestingly enough, Freud himself seems not to have specified trains in
the imagination as phallic symbols alone. (And perhaps not at all: I
haven't unearthed a quote.)

_A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis_ (1920):

"Death is replaced in the dream by taking a journey, riding in a train,
[etc.]."

As I recall, a Freudian symbol means whatever you think it means right now,
as well as whatever unconscious meanings it holds for you, which, by
definition, you don't know about. Thus it becomes impossible to distinguish
meanings that your mind is suppressing from meanings that aren't in your
head at all.

Critics of a Freudian bent get around this by assuming that all possible
symbolic meanings (especially the ones that they themselves perceive) are
stored in every adult's unconscious. Of course, that belief defies
disconfirmation.

So anyone who doesn't see the train as phallic is repressed or just doesn't
understand the secrets of filmmaking.  Surely the sight of a monster
gorilla wielding an unconscious blonde atop the world's tallest building
while he's being machine-gunned by naval biplanes makes everyone think of
sex?  You say No? Prove it.

If Hitchcock intended the train to symbolize a giant penis, allow me to
suggest that it was his business [sic] alone and adds nothing to plot or
the character. We've just seen the Thornhills in bed together on their
honeymoon - and an attractive couple they are. Anybody who can't figure
*that* out definitely won't see the "symbolism" - which then becomes
meaningless.

Back to the putative [sic] quote in Freud. Is Garson interested in tracking
it down?

JL