[Ads-l] "tanned, rested, and ready"

Sun Apr 26 15:42:35 UTC 2015

Fascinating that the phrase has such a long history; great work, JL.
Here is a possible precursor in 1902.

Date: 1902 September
Periodical: St. Nicholas: A Monthly Magazine for Boys and Girls
Editor: Mary Mapes Dodge
Volume 29, Number 11
Article: Books and Reading
Start Page 1052, Quote Page 1053
Publisher: The Century Company, New York
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=XNrQAAAAMAAJ&q=%22or+ruddy%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
When you return from your vacation in the mountains, on the shore, by
the lakes, or amid the fields, looking tanned or ruddy, rested,
refreshed, and ready to run a race, or like the boy in the country
proverb, " Strong enough to butt a bull off a bridge!" do not make a
set of resolutions which will require the patience of Job. . .
[End excerpt]

Garson