[Ads-l] The F-Icon

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Apr 27 04:23:00 UTC 2015

I forgot that, for some odd reason, my contributions are garbled when they are sent as replies.  I'll try again.

FCC regulation of taboo language is based on Title 18, Section 1464 of the United States Code, which states in full:  "Whoever utters any obscene, indecent, or profane language by means of radio communication shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Note that broadcast television is a form of radio communication.  Cable television and the Internet, of course, are not, although I suppose the increasing use of Wi-Fi might put that in doubt.  I can appreciate a broadcaster's concern that a gesture such as the digitus impudicus might be viewed as an utterance of obscene or indecent language.

FCC administration of 18 U.S.C. 1464 is governed by an FCC policy statement from 2001, available online at http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2001/fcc01090.html.   Connoisseurs of obscene, indecent, and profane language will appreciate the many full-text examples in the FCC statement.

John Baker