[Ads-l] The F-Icon - Agincourt, 1415?

GUY LETOURNEAU Owner guy1656 at CENTURYLINK.NET
Mon Apr 27 15:21:46 UTC 2015

"Deo Gracias Anglia! Redde pro Victoria..."

Doesn't "the finger" date back to the practice of severing the index fingers of captured enemy bowmen?
(who are then mocked with this gesture to indicate their lack of index finger?)

Therefor it's not sexual or 'obscene' at all.

"Neener neener, you got bagged at Agincourt..."

Or is this just a folk etymology?

- GLL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Berson" <berson at ATT.NET>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 7:56:29 AM
Subject: Re: The F-Icon

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>

My original question about the FCC was about how it might attach taboo "lan=
guage" to a picture.=C2=A0 Can "utters ... language" be interpreted as appl=
ying to an image?

I suppose one could go back to the days when one "uttered" counterfeit mone=
y:=C2=A0=20

Sense 1.a., "To put (goods, wares, etc.) forth or upon the market; to issue=
, offer, or expose for sale or barter; to dispose of by=20
way of trade; to vend, sell."
But that meaning, "In very frequent use from c1540 to c1655," last used by =
Sir Walter Scott in the 1820s, long antedates "radio communication."
Or one could go to 2.c. "To issue by way of publication; to publish. Now ar=
ch. rare."
Aha - here it is:=C2=A0 7.b, "To show, display; to bring to LIGHT."=C2=A0 L=
ast used in 1582.=C2=A0 Clearly the original intent in the FCC wording.
Joel