[Ads-l] Major Discovery Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

Mon Apr 27 22:27:54 UTC 2015

Fascinating news; thanks for sharing it, Fred.

Below is an example of "nine yards" used to reference a lengthy
textual document in 1902. This use seems to be comparable to the one
in the 1850 citation. The phrase is not in quotation marks. It seems
to be comical.

Date: May 7, 1902
Newspaper: The Atlanta Constitution
Newspaper Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Article: (Untitled short news item)
Quote Page 6, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
The International Magazine of Bill-
ville has out a prospectus nine yards
long. The editor says the first number
of the magazine "will be a gem." He
is a trifle short on copy just now, as
the favorable crop season has con-
strained him to make hay while the sun
shines.
[End excerpt]

This 1902 date is closer to the emergence of "whole six yards" and
"whole nine yards", I think. It is very difficult to keep track of
this complex topic. Perhaps someone could create a comprehensive
article on this topic. If such an article exists I apologize for not
knowing about it. Is the Wikipedia treatment accurate and up to date?

Switching topics: Maybe Stephen or someone can create an article about
the evolution of the lies and statistics saying. Is the Wikipedia
treatment accurate and up to date?

Perhaps a piece could be place in Comments on Etymology or another
periodical? An electronic document with updates to record progress
would be nice.

Garson