[Ads-l] Major Discovery Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 28 23:52:50 UTC 2015

Speaking of NGram, I wonder whether it casts any light on "[whole] six/nine yards".
Joel

 ----- Original Message -----
 From: Geoffrey S Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:23 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Major Discovery Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

I apologize for raising this issue so late, but until this morning I never made the connection. If it's been discussed earlier I apologize.

There is an old expression 'a yard of pump water' probably related to 'a yard of ale' (OED sense 9c of 'yard, n.2). My mother (born in central London in the twenties) used to describe someone not working when they were needed as 'standing around like a yard and a half of pump water'. I can't find that in Google nGram, but did find 'yard of pump-water' as early as 1830.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.