[Ads-l] Major Discovery Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Apr 28 23:53:46 UTC 2015

Surely paper is (close to) a fabric.
Joel
      From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:53 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Major Discovery Relating to "Whole Nine Yards"

Off-list an interesting question was raised about the use of the yard
measurement metaphorically and non-metaphorically. To clarify the
case, the petition was a scroll, and it was exhibited. The yard
measurement was non-metaphorical (though it did not involve fabric.)
Of course, the phrase could easily be shifted to a metaphorical
application.