[Ads-l] thug

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 29 21:53:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The idea that "thug" is or ever was a "code-word" for the "n-word," or
> that white "kids" doing the same
> things would not have been called thugs, strikes me as ridiculous.

Well put!

Even if the term used had been specifically "*black* thugs" - uh, sorry; I
mean, "*African-American* thugs," of course -  I'd have a problem seeing
anything "racist" in that. Fake claims of "racism" where there is none only
make it easy to dismiss and trivialize instances of *real* racism.

OTOH, anything can be made to mean anything else, as has been noted
elsewhere. For instance, on a TV cop-opera whose themes are routinely
ripped from yesterday's headlines, the white president of the local chapter
of a frat founded to maintain the  purported "values" of the Confederacy
explains that, yes,  his chapter has black members, but only because
Al-Sharpton-figure-led, bleeding-heart liberals have *forced* it to
accept...

Frat pres: "the brothers."

Black cop, jumping salty: "You gon' say that right in front of my *face*?!"

Since I don't get around much, anymore, I have no idea whether this scene
reflects any reality. But, "everybody knows" - to coin a phrase - that,
during the "Viet-Nam era," "soul-man" - from "Soul-Man," the title of a
*very* popular R&B tune of the time - almost immediately came to be used as
a cover for "nigger" among white GI's.

--
-Wilson
-----