[Ads-l] antedating "pic"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 30 17:55:29 UTC 2015

'A motion picture or the showing of a motion picture.'    1925, 1961, etc.:
OED.

1916 _Corks & Curls (U. of Va.) XXIX 314: Theda Bara in "Passionate
Pauline." ...When pics was over, he walk home with me.

(The writer is supposedly a Japanese student just accepted by the "Tappa
Keg" fraternity. Half a century later, the variant was "Tappa Kegga Bru.")

JL