[Ads-l] "One man's terrorist..."

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 2 02:49:19 UTC 2015

I wonder if one can find something similar in the history of provincial Massachusetts.  The British thought the Americans were terrorists; the colonials thought they were revolutionaries.

Joel

      From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2015 7:56 PM
 Subject: [ADS-L] "One man's terrorist..."

The modern cliche' that "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom
fighter" seems first to have been formulated in so many words by
Gerald  Seymour,
in his IRA thriller *Harry's Game* (1975).

But Seymour may have been inspired by Yasser Arafat's statement to the UN
General Assembly on Nov, 13, 1974:

"The difference between the revolutionary and the terrorist lies in the
reason for which each fights. For whoever stands by a just cause and fights
for the freedom and liberation of his land from the invaders, the settlers
and the colonialists cannot possibly be called terrorist...."

JL