[Ads-l] "No Irish need apply" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 3 21:09:41 UTC 2015

It took only a few minutes to find still earlier American examples.
(Fried's is from 1842).

The earliest:

1830 _New-York Morning Herald_ (July 12) 3:  "NO IRISH NEED APPLY."
Several advertisements with this insulting appendage have been from time to
time left on out hook for insertion, but which we rejected with disdain for
their authors. If one Irish servant maid commits a fault, is that a reason
that all other Irish girls must be bad. Surely not. Those who write those
illiberal and foolish advertisements must remember that the misconduct of a
few can afford no ground for insulting a whole nation; and a nation like
Ireland - renowned fro the virtue of her females, and the genius and
generosity of her sons. That American cannot be patriotic who would offer a
deliberate insult to the country of General Montgomery and Commodore Barry.
When we were making the great struggle for out liberties, were we not nobly
assisted by IRISHMEN?

Apparently such ads were familiar in NYC by the summer of 1830.

BTW, the song called "No Irish Need Apply" (by John F. Poole, 1862) was
apparently shortened by Pete Seeger around 1950 and set to a catchy tune of
his own.

JL