[Ads-l] "No Irish need apply" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 3 21:21:59 UTC 2015

Barry Popik has found examples from 1827.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/no_irish_need_apply/

26 September 1827, New-York (NY) Evening Post, pg. 3, col. 4:
COOK—Wanted immediately, in a small family, at 491 Broome street, a
white middle aged American woman, to cook and wash. None need apply
who cannot produce satisfactory reference from their last place as to
character & ability. No Irish need apply.

20 December 1827, New-York (NY) American, pg. 2, col. 5:
WANTED—at No. 300 Greenwich street, a good COOK:one that can bring
recommendations forindustry, neatness, and fidelity. No Irish need
apply.