[Ads-l] "No Irish need apply"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue Aug 4 01:11:40 UTC 2015

Wilson,

Surely this needs no reply.  The motivation is uncovering the truth.

I assume your reference to the book "demonstrating" that there were no Nazi gas-chambers and/or crematoria is to David Irving's allegations, thoroughly demolished by Deborah Lipstadt circa 2000.  She won a libel trial brought by Irving in Britain, where defense of a libel accusation is notoriously difficult.  See the Wikipedia article on Lipstadt.  I imagine the vast majority of the 14 million Jews alive in the world today care about this.

Joel
     From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>
 To: Joel Berson <berson at att.net>
 Sent: Monday, August 3, 2015 1:25 PM
 Subject: Re: "No Irish need apply"

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:

Wikipedia's article on Richard J. Jensen (the self-described Ph.D. professor) has a section titled "The Debunking of Jensen's article: No Irish Need Apply: A Myth of Victimization, 2002/03".

What motivates the writing of papers and even books purporting to "debunk" history, I wonder? And why do other people care? Ten or fifteen years ago, someone wrote a book "demonstrating" that, IIRC, there were no Nazi gas-chambers and/or crematoria, claiming that the buildings were, in fact, otherly-purposed. This novel didn't enjoy much circulation at Harvard, but it was one of the books borrowed most often through the Harvard College Library Inter-Library Loan.
"Otherly-purposed" is a jocular nonce-formation that I've invented, just this moment. Let's see what Google says.
Four hits, the oldest dating from 2010. *Still* behind the curve.
Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----