[Ads-l] Happy Birthday published in 1922, so out of copyright?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 6 02:29:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> "...and enough resources to pay the membership dues".

Sigh! How quickly they forget! Back then, the annual dues were four bucks
for students, eight bucks for everyone else, and $200 for life. My salary
at the Los Angeles Dept. of Water & Power was $441.00 a month to start,
with a built-in raise of 5.5% a year - how in hell can anybody who works
for a living possibly be against the combination of unions and non-profit
state ownership?! - in those days, so eight bucks was less than trivial.

Since I worked for Power and not for Water, my conscience stood firm
against the challenges of "Chinatown." Well, I did cringe at the knowledge
that L.A.'s first forays against the Southern California Edison Co. were
won using electricity generated by water siphoned from Inyo and Mono lakes
across farmland stolen by the Mulholland of Mulholland Drive fame, as
depicted in the movie.

--
-Wilson
-----