[Ads-l] London fog (tea and foamed milk)

Sun Aug 16 09:40:33 UTC 2015

When in British Columbia several weeks ago, I noticed London fogs on the
coffee shop menus. I have begun to see them in Washington State as well.

Showing how out-of-date I am on this, Wikibooks
(https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:London_Fog) traces the word back
to 1996 in Vancouver, BC, and says they are popular in Washington and
Oregon States.

I don't see the word on the Oxford Dictionary site or Wiktionary.

Also, I don't think London fogs are limited to Earl Grey tea, whatever
their original formulation, but are any sort of tea with foamed milk.
The Wikibooks page has a list of fogs, something like sushi rolls
(Bellevue roll, San Jose roll, ad naseum).

There is also a cocktail called a London fog
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_fog).

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home