[Ads-l] on the WOTY watch--"unicorn" and "unicorn poaching"

Fri Aug 21 16:47:01 UTC 2015

You are right that Ben has discussed "unicorns" in the past.

The phrase "unicorn poaching" might lead one to think that a unicorn
is being poached; instead, the unicorn is the poacher.

Back on March 16, 2015 I posted to the list about "unicorn" and "dead
unicorn" referring to companies in Silicon Valley with billion dollar
valuations.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-March/136272.html

Paul McFedries already had an entry at Word Spy with citations starting in 2014.
http://www.wordspy.com/index.php?word=unicorn

Ben published an article in the Wall Street Journal on March 20, 2015:
[Begin excerpt]
How "unicorn" became a less-than-magical label for billion-dollar
startups. My latest for the +Wall Street Journal:
[End excerpt]
http://bit.ly/unicornbz

Garson