[Ads-l] Heard: "I've had dinner...

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 22 22:24:48 UTC 2015

with _he_ and his wife."

Somewhere or other, I kinda-maybe-perhaps glanced at a suggestion that
Nominative case may be privileged/licensed/justified/whatever the jargon is
by the distance of the pronoun from the governing verb or preposition, so
that, in this case, we expect

with *him* and his wife,

given that the pronoun occurs immediately after the preposition.

OTOH,

The Smuggler: A Tale - Volume 1 - Page 188
https://books.google.com/books?id=LBE1AAAAMAAJ
John Banim - 1831 - ‎Read
Let _he_ and you have the pit open, in the garden, about eleven, to-morrow
night" - she whispered - "So, now for it, Jane!"
--
-Wilson
-----