[Ads-l] Heard: "I've had dinner...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 24 16:15:58 UTC 2015

There's a nice paper by Angermeyer and Singler on the factors involved in this variation, concentrating on 1st person cases:

Angermeyer, Philip & John Singler. 2003. The case for politeness: Pronoun variation in co-ordinate NPs in object position in English. _Language Variation and Change_ 15: 171-209.

They look at the three options in such cases: "vernacular _me and X_", "standard _X and me_", and "polite _X and I_", the last o which some would call hypercorrect rather than merely polite.  Of course in third person cases like the one below, politeness is less obviously involved, at least directly.  There's other interesting work on the variation by Nicholas Sobin, Thomas Grano, and Arnold Zwicky.

LH