[Ads-l] go for a "Burton"--a 1944 etymology guess

Mon Aug 24 18:47:50 UTC 2015

Great thanks to Geoff for accessing "Service Slang" and sharing what
he discovered back on August 21. I asked Geoff off-list about the
metadata for the volume so a complete and accurate citation could be
formulated, and he sent the following:

[Begin excerpt; two hyphens indicate a dash]
Hunt, J. L, and R. A. Pringle, 1943. Service Slang--A First Selection.
London: Faber and Faber., p. 36.
[End excerpt]

Special thanks to John Baker for searching for the terms "burton ale"
and "burton beer" in the British Newspaper Archive. Also, thanks to
all the other participants who have provided insightful contributions
to this fascinating discussion thread.

Garson