[Ads-l] "There is a sucker born every 15 minutes."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 30 00:43:56 UTC 2015

> On Aug 29, 2015, at 5:20 PM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:
>
> Does that mean that only one of every fifteen customers of Barnum was a sucker?  Impossibly few.
>
> Joel

Well, according to this quote Barnum wasn't explicitly specifying his own customers.  Some of them may have been customers for subscriptions to the Saturday Evening Post, Cadillacs, or mail-order lobsters, and perhaps fewer than 1/15 of those were suckers, so presumably it averaged out.

LH