[Ads-l] Eggcorn: old stopping grounds

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Dec 2 15:30:53 UTC 2015

Also, historically, the verb "stomp" (probably) represents a mere pronunciation variant of "stamp."

--Charlie

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Eggcorn: old stopping grounds

old stomping grounds >> old stopping grounds
alternative formulation:
stomping grounds >> stopping grounds

Spotted in the wild:

Date: March 24, 1995
Newspaper: Toronto Star
Newspaper Location: Ontario, Canada
Article: Potvin plans triumphant return 'I should be well-rested . . .
should be better'
Author/Byline: Paul Hunter
Section: Sports, Page: E3

[Begin excerpt]
Felix Potvin returns to his old stopping grounds tonight.
Hungry for action after a forced March break, Toronto's No. 1
netminder will be back between the pipes and, he vows, back on his
game when the Leafs play host to the Winnipeg Jets.
[End excerpt]

While reading about "my old stomping grounds" I noticed an earlier shift:
stamping ground >> stomping ground

The semantics are closely aligned, so this earlier shift does not seem
to correspond to an eggcorn.

Garson