[Ads-l] Eggcorn: old stopping grounds

Wed Dec 2 17:39:37 UTC 2015

Thanks for your insightful response, Peter R. I agree that the 1995
citation might have been a pun. That observation suggests that puns
might be a fun mechanism facilitating the creation of eggcorns.

While searching I saw an October 2, 1991 citation containing the
phrase "stopping grounds" that referred to a landing place for
migrating birds. I decided that was not an example of an eggcorn.

Here are two citations that I do not think are puns.

The 1993 citation uses the phrase "regular stopping grounds". The word
"stopping" does make sense within the article. Of course, the
substituted word is supposed to make some sense in an eggcorn. Maybe
this 1993 example is too weak or ambiguous.

The 2004 citation further below uses the phrase "her old stopping
grounds". I think this cite is a solid eggcorn example.

Date: April 1, 1993
Article: Readers love or hate the house cat
Newspaper: Press-Enterprise
Newspaper Location: Riverside, CA
Author/Byline: Bob Pratte, The Press-Enterprise
Section: Local, Page: B01
Database: NewsBank Access World News

[Begin excerpt]
Esther Wong of Hemet writes that she was able to tolerate neighborhood
cats until lots of them moved in four years ago.

"It wasn't long before we couldn't leave our front door open because
one of the cats made our flower bed its regular stopping grounds," she
writes. "Not only at our front door, but each cat found a spot in our
yard it liked."

She said she and her husband tried cleaning up the poop, but the cats
kept returning. They talked to their neighbors, but the cat problem
didn't end.
[End excerpt]