[Ads-l] Antedating of "Pixel" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon Dec 7 18:32:55 UTC 2015

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Antedating of "Pixel"
>
> The OED's first citation for "pixel" is dated 1969.  According to Wikipedia= , "pixel" appeared in the following:
>
> Fred C. Billingsley, "Processing Ranger and Mariner Photography," in Comput= erized Imaging Techniques, Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 0010,
> pp. XV-1=9619, J= an. 1967 (Aug. 1965, San Francisco).
>
> Fred Shapiro
>

>From SPIE's online digital library:

Fred C. Billingsley, "Processing Ranger and Mariner Photography" _Optical Engineering_ v4 #4 May 1966  p. 149 col 1
Originally presented as a paper " FROM THE 10TH SPIE TECHNICAL SYMPOSIUM, 19TH AUGUST 1965, SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA"

"A 500-kc rate is used for sampling, and each one of these samples is defined as a picture element or pixel."

See also:
F. C. Billingsley, "Digital Video Processing at JPL" Proc. SPIE   0003, Electronic Imaging Techniques, 252 (September 26, 1965);   p. XV-3
" We have chosen to sample at a 500 KC rate and we define each one of these samples as a picture element or a pixel."
CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED