[Ads-l] intrusive "of" intrudes further

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Mon Dec 7 23:07:27 UTC 2015

 From "What if Will Smith had played Neo in /The Matrix/?",
/Entertainment Weekly,/ #1393, Dec. 11, 2015, 6. 41:

In a recent interview with /Wired,/ Smith admitted he would have
"totally messed up /The Matrix/" had he accepted, saying, "I wasn't
SMART ENOUGH OF AN ACTOR to let the movie be, whereas Keanu was."
(emphasis added)

On the one hand, this is an "of" where we haven't seen it before: it's
not with "too," "how," "as/so," or "this/that" (or even "very," looking
at my earlier example). You'd just expect prenominal "a smart enough
actor". On the other hand, we do have the standard "enough OF a [NOUN]
to [VERB]," which is so very close to what Will Smith said. Maybe we
have a production error, blending "enough of an actor" with "a smart
enough actor".

Neal