[Ads-l] G.I.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 10 14:34:47 UTC 2015

See the citations in HDAS. Please.

BTW, "general issue" in this context seems to have been created as a
pseudoretrofolkoetymology of "G.I."

I can't recall seeing it earlier than the earliest ex. in HDAS, and GB
retrieves no exx. between 1900 and 1942.

"G.I." was emphatically a standard quartermaster's inventory abbrev. of
"galvanized iron," in print years before 1917. Usu. as "Can, G.I" and
"Bucket, G.I."  "G.I. can" was the common AEF term (1918) for a heavy
artillery shell. By 1918 G.I. had also come to mean (perhaps only
informally) "government issue."

See HDAS.

JL