[Ads-l] RES: Par as in Golf

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Mon Dec 14 20:59:55 UTC 2015

Thanks!
DAD

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de
Geoffrey Steven Nathan
Enviada em: segunda-feira, 14 de dezembro de 2015 18:30
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: Par as in Golf

Poster:       Geoffrey Steven Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Par as in Golf
---

 a. Golf. The number of strokes which a scratch player should need for a ho=
le or for a course (freq. with that number as postmodifier). Also: (as a co=
unt noun) a score of this number of stokes at a hole.In early use chiefly i=
n par of the green.
1887   W. G. Simpson Art of Golf 8   He easily recalls how often he has don=
e each hole in par figures.
1891   Golf 10 June 291   The par of the green for gentlemen..was nearly at=
tained.
1900   Westm. Gaz. 9 Mar. 3/2   The professionals went round in the par of =
the green=9774.
1924   J. Braid Golf Guide 164   Par Play, perfect golf without flukes. Thu=
s, if a green can be reached in two strokes, the hole is a Par four; two pu=
tts being allowed on each green.
1935   N.Y. Times 9 Apr. 26/1   Sinking a 220-yard spoon wallop for a =91do=
uble eagle=92 deuce on the 485-yard, par 5 fifteenth hole.
1973   A. MacVicar Painted Doll Affair viii. 96   Let's see if you can stil=
l keep shooting all these pars and birdies.
2000   Times 7 Aug. (Sport Monday section) 9/1   Westwood's closing 71 took=
 him to a total of 270, 14 under par.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to=
anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.