[Ads-l] "Ms." interdatings (1921-22)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 17 18:07:23 UTC 2015

Excellent find, Garson! Here's the full text of the item:

---
http://newspaperarchive.com/us/massachusetts/boston/boston-post/1921/07-25/page-10
Boston Post, July 25, 1921, p. 10, col. 4
"The Observant Citizen"
Quite frequently the question is asked, "How to address a letter to a
woman when one is not sure whether she is 'Miss' or 'Mrs.'"
The following clever solution of the problem appears in a publication
entitled "We Are Here," edited by Leo Burnett, advertising manager of
the La Fayette Motors:
C.P. Rockwell of Boston was recently puzzled about what prefix to use
in circularizing women whose names were taken from the registration
lists with no index as to whether they were "Miss" or "Mrs." He
considered, quite properly, that to omit any prefix whatsoever from
the name of a woman with whom they were unacquainted would be the
first step toward the failure of a place of literature coming to her
attention.
Some research was done, in fact the question was carried to the
president of Harvard University, upon whose authority it is correct to
use the prefix "Ms." in the case of a woman, whether she is married or
unmarried.
---

(This was quite early in the career of Leo Burnett, who would later be
a very famous ad executive.)