[Ads-l] "schlong", the verb -- not in OED

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 23 03:29:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Joel Berson wrote:

> It is alleged that Trump yesterday said Hilary Clinton got "schlonged" in
> her 2008 presidential campaign against Barack Obama.
>
> Apparently he also has called Clinton a "schmuck".=C2=A0 Obscenities are
> apparently OK if they're voiced in the obscure, dying language of a detested
> and decimated minority.

Here's my take on schlong-gate:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/donald-trump-schlong-perils-of-vulgarity-213459

As I note there, "schlong" = 'defeat soundly' is attested back to 1967
in NYC usage.

1967 _The Campus_ (City College of New York) 17 May 3/3 Yermack and
his followers decided not to wait for the official results; they knew
there would be no startling changes in the trend. As Ellen Turkish,
running for Council '68, put it: "We got schlonged."
http://digital-archives.ccny.cuny.edu/thecampus/1967/MAY_120_19/00000039.PDF

--bgz