[Ads-l] RES: "schlong", the verb -- not in OED

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Wed Dec 23 03:56:02 UTC 2015

If "getting schlonged" only applies to female candidates (or defeated
females in general), as Trump's usage and the Ellen Turkish example below
seem to imply, then we may have another issue here beyond simple vulgarity.
DAD

Poster:       Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "schlong", the verb -- not in OED
---

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Joel Berson wrote:

> It is alleged that Trump yesterday said Hilary Clinton got "schlonged"
> in her 2008 presidential campaign against Barack Obama.
>
> Apparently he also has called Clinton a "schmuck".=C2=A0 Obscenities
> are apparently OK if they're voiced in the obscure, dying language of
> a detested and decimated minority.

Here's my take on schlong-gate:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/donald-trump-schlong-perils-o
f-vulgarity-213459

As I note there, "schlong" = 'defeat soundly' is attested back to 1967 in
NYC usage.

1967 _The Campus_ (City College of New York) 17 May 3/3 Yermack and his
followers decided not to wait for the official results; they knew there
would be no startling changes in the trend. As Ellen Turkish, running for
Council '68, put it: "We got schlonged."
http://digital-archives.ccny.cuny.edu/thecampus/1967/MAY_120_19/00000039.PDF

--bgz

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.