[Ads-l] "steal (someone's) thunder", 1858; OED 1900--

Thu Dec 24 06:47:46 UTC 2015

Back in October 2013 Joel presented an excellent citation containing a
figurative use of the expression "steal my thunder" from 1858 which
antedated the OED citation in 1900. Following Joel's lead I located an
earlier cite.

Now the QI website has an entry on the general topic with an
acknowledgement to Joel:

They Will Not Let My Play Run, But Steal My Thunder
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/12/23/thunder/

The distinctive phrase "steal my thunder" with an ascription to John
Dennis was circulating by 1747. The figurative expression emerged by
1831.

(The subject line of this message is from a revivified zombie
discussion thread. This use of "zombie" for an old inactive discussion
thread is found on the Straight Dope Message Board.)

Feedback welcome,
Garson