[Ads-l] "among the data"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 7 19:12:43 UTC 2015

And continues to be so used in linguistics--"an interesting datum", "I am indebted to Wilson Gray for this datum", etc., are not that uncommon in contemporary papers. I agree that this use is specialized, whence perhaps the reaction to "among the data", which I find unusual but not impossible.  (Lots of google hits, so others don't share this hesitation.)  And it's also worth noting that "among" doesn't necessarily require a genuine plural but is perfectly happy with set-denoting singulars, as in "among the crowd".

LH