[Ads-l] Restricted access to "Stars and Stripes" and "The buck stops here"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 8 15:14:26 UTC 2015

I can only repeat my sadly unconfirmed guarantee that I saw reference to a
sign with that phrase mentioned in the pages of a magazine (I still think
it was _Our Army_) in the 1930s, a few years (or at least a few months)
earlier than the sign mentioned in 1939.

Fred once got a researcher to look for it. He was unsuccessful. But the
print in _Our Army_ is rather small.

Since such signs other than Truman's were so rarely alluded to, since the
early examples are military, and since the memory has been in my head since
about 1971, what are the odds that I'm imagining it?

Just sayin'.

JL