[Ads-l] News Article: Cold Book Storage at Harvard

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 9 00:01:33 UTC 2015

I haven't viewed the "interactive documentary", but I have a couple
of comments about the article:

The problem of finding the shortest path through a series of points
(shelves) is, IIRC, indeterminate -- that is, there is no algorithm
that can find the *shortest* path.  It can only find a good path.

Scanned PDFs are available from the Depository only for faculty,
staff, and students.  We poor alumni and alumnae "only" get the
actual book, which we can feel, smell, etc.

Although such hard copies also arrive at Widener within two days.

The Depository's location is "publicly undisclosed".

There is a lengthier article at
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2014/09/where-books-and-more-go-to-wait/,
which reads as though it was the source for the one that Garson points to.

I trust that in these weeks the Depository can maintain its 50 degree
F. temperature, or the cold storage will become the much colder storage.

Joel