[Ads-l] Letter to editor of NYT

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 17:20:56 UTC 2015

Re the impending loss of the man characterized by Seth MacFarlane' as "our
most important Jew":

"... stop this post-mortem-like _bourgeois_ ..."

Is this the word that otherwise occurs in the eye-phonetic spelling,
_bushwah_?

OED's, preferring the spelling, "bushwa": early 20th century: from French
_bourgeois_, now used as a euphemism for _bullshit_.

Wiktionary: Apparently from French _bouchois_, derived from _bouche_
(“mouth”), + _-ois_ (“-ese”) (cf. _chinois_ (“Chinese”)), literally
"mouth-ese", jabbering.

Noun[edit]

_bushwah_

_Nonsense_.

FWIW, I like the OED's' etymology, given that it conforms to mine own
intuition, though I prefer the Wiktionary's spelling and definition. I know
this term only from literature too genteel for me to think cover for the
coarse "bullshit." But...

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson