[Ads-l] Facebook: "uphauled"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 19 19:55:42 UTC 2015

Amazing, but apparently not new.  A number of hits on google, an eggcorn database entry (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/352/uphauled/) with additional hits for "uphauling", and a (more judgmental) entry on urbandictionary.  One commenter on ecdb notes that maybe this should be considered a malapropism rather than a true eggcorn, presumably because the reanalysis isn't motivated by the search for sense.  (In fact, the "diluted state" of which we were conversing earlier is a better eggcorn candidate for this reason--at least a plausible story could be invented for that one.  (Lots of google books hits for "uphauled", from (in originals or translations) Homer, Virgil, Dante, Noyes, and various pirate tales, but you'll be relieved to know that they all seem to involve something (usually a sail) being hauled upward.

WAG: Perhaps a factor in the creation of the new "uphaul" might could be influence by "upchuck", since so many of the examples seem to be reporting Mr./Ms. Malaprop's reported virtual nausea at whatever they find uphauling.

LH