[Ads-l] Heards

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 1 23:10:28 UTC 2015

Very likely, everyone else has also heard "paths" pronounced as "pa[Dz]."
Well, today, I heard "psychopaths" pronounced as "psychopa[Dz]."

I've also been hearing  _gunna_ being used by more and more black speakers.
Too bad. :-(

Back in 1972-73, Haj Ross spent a couple of lecture-hours discussing
"gunna." At the time, I had *no* idea WTF he was talking about. If not for
the fact that my classmates appeared to be taking his rap seriously, I
would have thought that it was some joke whose point I was missing. It took
me many nanoseconds even to cotton to the fact that "gunna" was "gonna,"
but "mispronounced."

--
-Wilson
-----