[Ads-l] "fourth dimension" is not "time" to the OED?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jan 4 00:59:04 UTC 2015

Why does the OED's definition of "fourth dimension (under "fourth")
not include "time"?  The definition there is merely "a supposed or
assumed dimension, additional to length, breadth, and thickness (see
dimension n. 3 note)."  And in the note, the only mention of anything
beyond L, B, and T is "Modern mathematicians have speculated as to
the possibility of more than three dimensions of space."

Searching for quotations including "fourth dimension", the earliest
referring to time is perhaps "1885   Nature 26 Mar. 481/1   Since
this fourth dimension cannot be introduced into space, as commonly
understood, we require a new kind of space for its existence, which
we may call time-space."  (Well's "The Time Machine" is 1895.)

Joel