[Ads-l] terminology - Black American vs. African American

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 5 18:29:26 UTC 2015

At 1/5/2015 07:04 AM, Margaret Lee wrote:

>The term 'African American' was originally
>introduced and suggested to replace 'Black' in
>1988 by Dr. Ramona Edelin, then president of the
>National Urban Coalition.  Jesse Jackson then
>popularized the term and incorrectly received
>credit for originally introducing it.
>--Margaret LeeÂ

There's discussion in the ADS-L archives about
the pre-historical use (that is, before
Edelin/Jackson) of these and other terms.   I
reported research I did in Early American
Newspapers and Google Books in a message of 2 Mar
2011 titled "Nigger vs. Colored, et al."  It
gives numbers of hits, sometimes separated into
periods (e.g., before or after 1800), for various
terms (not including "black", which is not amenable to database searching).

Margaret, in Gbooks I found 42 instances
of  "African American" before 1800 (none in EAN),
most of which are probably false positives -- but
one genuine quotation, probably the earliest, is
from 1822 Sep 6, the Enquirer.  Of course this
merely means the term was available long before
Edelin, not that there was any movement then to
adopt "African American" to replace "black".  For
analysis of the historical evolution, see:

Rael, Patrick. “Introduction.” In
African-American Activism before the Civil War:
The Freedom Struggle in the Antebellum North, ed.
Patrick Rael (New York: Routeledge, 2008).  p. 18.

Rael, Patrick. Black Identity & Black Protest in
the Antebellum North. Chapel Hill: University of
North Carolina Press, 2002.   pp.  84--85.

Black American Reference Book. Ed. Mabel M.
Smythe. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1976.  pp. xi---xii.

Drake, St. Clair. “Negro Americans and the Africa
Interest.” In The American Negro Reference Book,
ed. John P. Davis (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.:
Prentice-Hall, 1966).  p. 700.  [And note the
change in title between 1966 and 1976!]

Joel