[Ads-l] Fictional Materials for OED (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Jan 9 15:18:20 UTC 2015

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Fictional Materials for OED
> Benjamin Zimmer bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
> Mon Jan 4 22:31:05 UTC 2010
>

> > "Kryptonite" probably deserves a dictionary entry because it has
> > metaphorical uses beyond the Superman genre...
>
> Here are two such uses, documented from the mid-'70s:
>
> ---
>
> * Kryptonite, adj. 'very hard or indestructible, as if made of
> Kryptonite'
>
> 1975 _Chicago Tribune 28 Dec. F14/2 "Well it doesn't bother me a bit,"
> says the man with the Kryptonite ego.
>
> 1977 _College English_ 38 (7) 641 Further, we determine that the
> kryptonite-hard desk surface is there to prevent students from
> scribbling.
> http://www.jstor.org/stable/376066
>
> 1981 _L.A. Times_ 12 June E22/2  [Pete Rose is] 436 away from Cobb,
> whom he could pass in 1984, providing his Kryptonite body doesn't
> suddenly incinerate.
>
> ---
>
> --Ben Zimmer

It's been a while since I read many Superman comics, but I don't recall Kryptonite as being "hard or indestructible" -- at least any more so than any other radioactive rock.