[Ads-l] proportionately = 'disproportionately'

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 13 00:11:56 UTC 2015

At 1/12/2015 01:10 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>The problem is that it doesn't make much sense when you read it. I felt I
>knew what was meant and didn't at the same time.

I agree it doesn't make sense -- it reads one way but can only mean
the other.  What I was suggesting that someone might remember
locutions like "had in proportion [to some other *small*
characteristic] a small head" -- which I think is logically OK -- and
gone on to "had a proportionately [to some other *large*
characteristic] small head" -- which I think is logically mind-blowing.

Joel