[Ads-l] Ideas for Article on Collegiate Slang

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 21 02:21:53 UTC 2015

I am planning on following up my Yale Alumni Magazine column on the role of Harvard, Yale and Princeton in incubating the words "preppie," "jock," and "wonk" with another article on collegiate slang.  I am thinking of covering "hacker" (MIT) and "nerd."  Are there other important slang terms with collegiate provenances -- "dweeb"? "weenie"? others.  You see that I am particularly interested in terms describing groups of students.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Fred Shapiro