[Ads-l] grieve, trans.

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Jan 23 15:14:48 UTC 2015

And didn't we discuss, a few years ago, (or maybe I discussed it with somebody else) the use of "grieve" (both tr. and intr.) to mean 'file a formal grievance (about)'?

--Charlie

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      grieve, trans.

OED (8b) has 'To feel or show grief at or for; to regret deeply. _poet_.'

The cites from 1597 to 1871 are drawn principally from verse.

Time to add "8c  To grieve for; mourn."

The script of this week's _Sleepy Hollow_ employed this usage twice. IIRC,
one expression was "He's grieving his wife and daughter."

See, Abigail Adams had found a way to imprison the Revolutionary or Early
National-era  preincarnation of Jack the Ripper inside a painting, but in
2015 he gets loose and....

Well, I won't spoil it for you.  Except to say that the former Chief of
Police, slain by the Sword of Methusaleh, is now back as a zombie.

JL