[Ads-l] For one's shit to stink (just like anyone else's)

Sat Jan 24 21:19:47 UTC 2015

Here are some citations that are late compared to the 1930 and 1940
dates. But I think these cites might be useful because they provide a
closer match to Benjamin's examples which were comparative:

Year: 1967
Title: Four-letter word games: the psychology of obscenity
Author: Renatus Hartogs; Hans Fantel
Publisher: M. Evans, New York;  distributed in association with
Delacorte Press (WorldCat info)
(Google Books snippet view; meta-data may be inaccurate; query for
"1967" shows copyright notice for 1967. So the date is probably
accurate.)

[Begin extracted text]
Driven beyond the limit of his tolerance, my patient planted both his
arms on the boss's desk, leaned across, and said quietly, "I bet your
shit stinks, too." He was of course summarily fired, which hardly
daunted his pleasure at seeing his boss flummoxed beyond all
expectations.
[End extracted text]

Year: 1976
Title: Banana