[Ads-l] EEBO

Wed Jan 28 23:17:09 UTC 2015

Thanks Bill. Great news. Thanks to the organizations that have enabled
access to this database by the hoi polloi.

The link in the message from you, Bill, appears to be broken, i.e.,
split. So I've placed a short link below.

The digital images are still locked up in the ProQuest EEBO database.
So a transcription cannot be compared to the digital image unless you
have proper access which is difficult to obtain.

Date: January 27, 2015
Article: U-M helps open more than 25,000 early English books to public
Author: Mary Morris

http://record.umich.edu/articles/u-m-helps-open-more-25k-early-english-books-public

http://bit.ly/15Vao3L

[Begin excerpt]
The transcribed texts, as open data, are freely available for anyone
to read, reuse, reproduce, repurpose and distribute. (ProQuest's EEBO
image database remains available only to subscribers.)
[End excerpt]

The EEBO website at eebo.chadwyck.com states that "Individual pricing
is not available". Hence, an individual researcher without some kind
of affiliation with a major library is handicapped. Many ProQuest
databases are hard to access.

Garson