[Ads-l] "out way" for "outweigh"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jul 8 23:45:20 UTC 2015

From a comment on an article at Atlantic.com

> Emotion and logic are not of equal value. Does not science and the collective efforts of humanity qualify as a higher form of discourse? The needs of the many out way the feelings of a few.

I figured this must be a one off, but Google returns 400+ actual hits for “out way the,” the vast majority reanalyses of “outweigh.” E.g.,

> Hotel Rosedale: Positives out way the negatives....
>
> Does the need for answers out way the love of the story?
>
> The incentives offered by online platforms often out way the terms and conditions that are often out of step with regulation.
>
> Looking at the pro's and con's, the con's definitely out way the pro's. I've always wanted to be a mother, but not this way.

There are 300+ hits for “out wayed”:

> Insurance isn't cheap but this more than out wayed by the enjoyment you will have every time you turn the key.
>
> It shows that the greed of selling these financial products far out-wayed the long term ethical consequences

“Out ways” (v.) is less common, but turns up as well:

> The good always out ways the bad!

> Yeah but the belly out ways the heart there for you are gross

It doesn’t seem to be in the eggcorn database.

Geoff