[Ads-l] More Facebook-ing

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 10 04:18:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Paul A Johnston, Jr. <
paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:

> I've heard Greeks say that the pronunciation never changed--i. e. that
> Ancient Greek was pronounced exactly like Standard Modern Greek, despite
> all the linguistic evidence and testimony of Hellenistic grammarians.

Yeah, me too. But they're no worse than people who claim the Appalachian
English is pure Elizabethan or that Black English derived from a Caribbean
or wherever pidgin become a creole become a dialect, I reckon. Slaves on
their way to the Continental Colonies and their successor states stopped
off in the Caribbean for "seasoning" - a form of basic training similar to
what's called "breaking," WRT other animals - not classes in Basic English.

--
-Wilson
-----