[Ads-l] ditty-bag etymology and dittis, manchester stuff

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Sat Jul 11 19:38:45 UTC 2015

> OED has ditty bag from c1860; that can easily be antedated by some
> decades. Here, my interest is etymology.
>
> "Etymology:  Origin obscure: according to Smyth Sailor's Word-bk. it
> 'derives its name from the dittis or Manchester stuff of which it was
> once made'; but no evidence of this is given, nor is anything known of
> the stuff alleged."

This interested me also, following a question from a subscriber. I found a
possible origin in an Indian term:

  http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dit2.htm

--
Michael Quinion